My Favourite Window

February 19, 2011

Savoury Apple Tart


Following on from yesterday's photo of my summer harvest, I want to share my dish of the moment.  Really, the recipe changes according to what is available. I make it sweet with wild blackberries over the apples, and I can see that it is time to buy a nice mouldy cheese to mix with last year's walnuts over this year's pears.  Not a day goes by without one of my neighbours dropping garden surplus in: tomatoes, courgettes, potatoes, and just today - carrots, onions and sweet corn!
But here is one way to use up all those manky apples.

Gather up your windfall apples - don't be timid - codling moth, wind-burn, bounce-bruise and all; slice out the bad bits and sliver the good over a sheet of savoury short pastry laid on a baking tray. Tweak the edges of the pastry up all around to hold the cooking juices.  Thinly slice red onion, finger olive oil and balsamic vinegar through as you separate the rings, then scatter over the bed of apple. Grate a good strong cheese all over. My preference is for Karikaas Vintage Gouda, but any NZ 1kg edam is delicious too.  Bake at 200C for 2o minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the tart to sit for another 10 minutes, before eating it all up.

No comments: