My Favourite Window

November 20, 2011

Ohoka Garden Tour


This morning I set out, camera in hand, to join three other gardeners on the Ohoka School Garden Tour, but from the moment I turned into the drive of the appointed meeting place it became a more personal day, not adhering strictly to the programme. I longed to explore the park-like grounds of Liz's garden, but it wasn't on today's schedule and Sue, who as a professional gardener to many of Ohoka's fine gardens, was eager to show us next door before we began the official tour.




By now I was aware just how strongly the morning light was influencing my garden viewing.  It struck strong shadows and back-lit peonies; it glanced off foliage and sharpened bright greens.
It dazzled. 


And then as heat suffused the light, the scents began to release.




We saw immaculate topiary...




And pergolas too.




We saw sculpture...




And kitchen gardens...


And follies a-few.





There were Classical references...


As well as home-grown.



And then it was time for lunch
(I had enjoyed a cup of elderflower cordial along the way).
Returning to Liz's garden, past her hay meadow, ripe for cutting,



We unpacked our picnic for four.




At leisure then we toured the garden, with its superb setting of old established trees, and I came away feeling that this was my favourite garden today: because of the trees and the grand design making space as important as the plantings, allowing the farmland to be part of the whole  - and because I was a guest in it, at ease there with gardener and owner and friend to show me around.

The Ohoka School Garden Tour is a biennial event and one of Canterbury's premium garden tours.  It is a major fund-raising project for the rural primary school. 

8 comments:

Cuby said...

I am so glad to say it is my favourite garden today too. I am so enjoying your Spring with you.:) X

Owen said...

Looks like a fabulous way to spend a day...

There is place in England you would like : The Lost Gardens of Heligan

Jeneane said...

The Cuby Poet: I'm glad you enjoyed the Tour and understood what I liked about Liz's garden. Make the most of my spring because I will be entering your Winter in just over a week!

Owen: How strange for you to mention Heligan. The Cuby Poet lives only a few miles away from there. Yes everyone keeps telling me about it and I shall get the Poet to show me around one day but not this Winter.

Being Me said...

Oh how utterly gorgeous! Thanks for that visual tour. The rose photo is stunning. There is nothing quite like early morning sun on a beautiful garden.

Jeneane said...

Being Me: It was such an added pleasure the early sun. The big pink flower is a peony, but the rosebuds were prolific and full of promise. We had the best of the day: as I left after lunch the wind was getting up and by mid-afternoon it was a raging hot gale.

PeterParis said...

Nice to see a season, completely different from ours, although autumn here also offers some nice moments!

Nice to see that you - again - discovered my blog. When you visit Paris, don't hesitate to contact me, if you feel like ti. (My email is on my "profile".)

John Going Gently said...

I absolutely love that gargoyle!

Jeneane said...

Peter: Thanks for visiting and enjoying the season. I do agree with you about Autumn. It is as beautiful as springtime and early summer for me. Who knows about Paris? We are only there for one night... this time.

John Gray: I can see that having wings, there is a resemblance to your beloved poultry. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter (of Peter's Paris) knows the original that it is modelled on.