My Favourite Window

August 6, 2014

Winter Into Spring



It's always sad deciding that a big shapely tree has to go, but after last year's September 'blow' this one felt a bit too threatening for our neighbours. Although the strong winds that toppled so many gum trees that night, would potentially knock this onto my property, the root plate would pull up the corner of the house in the background. 




An up side to the felling of this gum tree is that the garden will now get more sunshine through the winter months. Oh, and there's a lot of firewood in there...  


This is a stack that I prepared earlier: plum prunings.



During the autumn, loggers worked for weeks felling plantation pines in the river bed beyond the stop bank. Thankfully they left this attractive wind break of poplars. I photographed them early one frosty morning as the sun was rising.


Heralding spring, the wild plum blossom is beginning to bloom around the countryside and in the Secret Garden. I photographed this delicate tracery on 1st August. 



9 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Those first few plum blossoms are always so welcomed. We also have wild sloe bushes here which flower at the same time.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

I don't really see sloes here but their blossom is so welcome isn't it. The plum here is considered a weed by some but there's no doubt that it looks lovely scattered through old and abandoned farmsteads.

Steve said...

Tis sad to see a beautiful tree felled. We lost one in the town park here but the council hired in a sculpture who made good use of the wood and now we have beautiful sculptures dotted around.

Geo. said...

I have taken down more eucalyptus trees in the past 30 years here than I thought existed in the whole world. They love to get 70+ feet high, then fall apart. They're away from the house now but I still have to go out and cut back suckers and saplings. I'm really getting too old for this.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Steve: The irony is that my dad and I planted this and others specifically to coppice for firewood, but this 'shining gum'had such a lovely appearance that it escaped harvest - until now. Some of the tree sculptures are very imaginative aren't they.

Geo: I know what you mean... Trees and the planning for the future that goes with them is so long term and as youngsters we don't take into account what ageing does to the physical business of tree maintenance!

libby said...

That frosty morning picture is lovely...I imagine living where you do feeds your soul somewhat.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

It sure does libby. Another bright sunny frosty morning as I write now :-)

The Sagittarian said...

So frosty Lady that my car doors were frozen over! So lucky you have a fire for the fire wood. Hope all is bright in your corner. :-)

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Yes, we've had frozen car doors too Saj. I've been out collecting wood from the gum tree today - ready for the fire in two years time!